Sunday, March 29, 2009

My brother Alex comes to visit

I had so much fun this week! Alex came over to visit, and since he had never been to Sweden before I wanted to show me as much as I could in only a week. I think I succeeded with our visits to, Stockholm and Gränna. And of course all of Jönköping including but not limited to our Max, Ikea, John Bauer Museum, and our beloved Råslätt! It was so much fun getting to show him where I live, teach him a little Swedish, and having him meet all my friends here, it was truly a great week!

Stockholm!
Sweden's Capital and one of the most amazing big cities here in Sweden. It has so many things to do and see and is beautiful too! I love Stockholm :)
We took so many pictures, but here are just a few.

Gränna
This place is known for there polkagris (peppermint candy) which was first made in 1859 by a poor widow named Amalia Eriksson. You can watch them make it and when you walk into a store that sells it, it smells like heaven! I will be going back this summer for sure to hopefully take one of there air-balloon trips and to go to the island of Visingsö. This small town was so cute, and has so much history, I cant wait for the summer.




We found this great little 50's diner to have lunch in, it was so cool and the food was amazing!

Polkagris!


Max!
You can't come to Sweden and not have a Max hamburger!



And you have to have lunch at Ikea!



John Baur Museum

John Baur was born in Jönköping in 1882, so he is a legend around here. He first illustrate the fairytale book Bland tomtar och troll (Among elves and trolls) in 1907. The illustrations would eventually make him Sweden’s favorite fairytale artist. He was artistically wealthy and painted monumental frescoes, wrote fairytale plays for children and wrote a libretto for the ballet Bergakungen (The Mountain King). His sketches are amazing, his stories are moving and his illustrations are my favorite!


Jönköping!
Yup this is where I get to live!!

No comments:

Post a Comment