Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Typical Swedes? Only in Sweden!

So I love Sweden and I love these Crazy Swedes but their Culture is very different from the American culture (even the Swedish culture I grew up in and around), some things I knew and some I never noticed before, so I was thinking I should note a few examples! :) Remember, these aren't ALL Swedes, just a few typical/common differences that I have encountered and have heard about since being in Sweden.
  • I don't want to bother others and I don't want them to bother me.

Swedes for some reason think they would bother you if they talk to you and most of the time, they don't want to be talked to. I haven't experienced the latter, every time I have made the effort to talk to them, I have ended up having a great conversation, and many are now my friends!

  • Don't sit next to me on the bus, if you don't have to.

I don't understand this one and when I have asked Swedes about this, their not sure why this happens either, it just does.

  • The tighter the jeans the better!

Guys and girls love tight jeans! I have seen so many young teens with rubber bands around the bottom of their jeans to make them smaller even.

  • Saying Hej! to someone you don't know is not acceptable, you're looked at as being a little crazy.

This I think is only if another Swede does it, not a foreigner. I can't say that every time I have said hej to someone they haven't looked at me funny, but that could just be me!

  • Take off your shoes before entering into a house or an apartment, no exceptions!

I really like this rule!

  • Please and Bless You are rarely said

It's strange, when someone sneezes, no one says bless you! I do it anyway! :) and I usually get a thank you.

  • You can only buy alcohol at System Bologet or at bars (and it's really expensive)

I'm used to this now, but it can still be annoying.

  • Sandwiches are ate for breakfast and for lunch

This is not a new one for me, I love this! But I know a few people who still haven't adjusted to not eating junky cereal and bacon and eggs for breakfast yet.

  • When the sun comes out, so does everyone else!

The sun in Sweden is a rare thing in the winter so when the sun comes out, everyone wants a piece of it. In the summer the sun is out all the time, and so are the people. I can't wait for summer!!

  • Swedish males and most females are not the best at Hugging!

Me and a few of my friends one night tested this experiment and the test came back as the truth! We need to help teach these Swedes how to hug!!

No comments:

Post a Comment