Saturday, March 7, 2009

A few stereotypes

Well I have been in this Intercultural Communications class for a few weeks now and have gotten to learn a lot about other cultures and how easy misunderstandings happen. Without even realizing it, I came here with a few stereotypes of my own, some bad, some good. I have learned so much about why people are the way they are, and have even gotten to make some new friends.. even Turkish ones!

The thing is, I have never considered myself as an American, yes I live there but many rituals, celebrations and foods don't shout American. When people ask me what I am my answer everytime is, Swedish and Armenian.

Since being here, I have gotten so many questions about America, and I feel most of the time like I need to make excuses as to why they may have these twisted ideas about America and Americans. I knew people were going to have their opinions about Americans and I would be stuck hearing a lot of them, and somehow needing to explain the whole of American culture (which is NOT possible)
I am going to list a few typical stereotypes that I have heard about Americans, I am sure you to have heard a few of these if not all of them before....
  • Self centered, Arrogant
  • Loud, obnoxious
  • Fat, Lazy
  • to consumed with things
  • unfriendly, or too friendly
  • Stupid and Uneducated about the rest of the world.
  • Everything deserves a High Five or an Awesome response

My personal favorite, "You all elected a dumb president" and even when I tell them I can personally tell you that many didn't vote for Bush... they don't believe me.

I have to say, none of these are ones I haven't heard before, but I have never felt so embarrassed in my life. I have never felt more American in my life.

My struggle is to find a way to get people to understand that those are not all true and are all attributes you find in other cultures too. I have however been told many times, "you are not a typical American" and I have to agree, but how many Americans have they met, and not just seen on TV? Can anyone give me a few good stereotypes about Americans?

1 comment:

  1. Turks love you =)

    and the sentence "i have never felt more american in my life.". nice observation...

    ReplyDelete