Sunday, April 26, 2009

Turkey, Istanbul

The trip to Turkey was one of the most amazing trips and experiences of my life. I realized even more how deep my passion for the Middle East truly is. The history, the music, the culture, the people. All these things intrigue me about that part of the world.

Istanbul is made up of two big parts, the Asian side and the European side. Both sides have their own feel, their own ambiance. The European side is also what used to be the Ottoman empire and also known as Constantinople. The history on that side is more then one could ever imagine. The Asian side is made up of a more westernized elegance, with shops, and fancy houses and cars. (speaking of cars, everyone in Turkey loves to honk their horns.. its incredible) There are 7 islands that are all very different, and unfortunately I was only able to do one of them. No motor vehicles are allowed on the island, so the only way to get around is by, Horse and buggy, bike or walking. This island had mansions, and churches, and views that would make anyone go, WOW!

This time I only had a week so I was only able to do Istanbul, but I got to see and learn a lot. I went into a few different mosques while I was there and I am so happy I took that Islam class last semester. I knew what to do, and what not to do. For instance, I knew to bring a sweater (even though it was 21C and about 70F out) because I know walking into a Mosque with a tank top on would not be appropriate and I knew that woman pray separately from the men and not to pry behind the partisans unless I myself wanted to go back there and pray and for sure not to walk up to close to the alter, because that is where the men pray.

I loved that I got this experience and that even in that week my appreciation for others has been able to intensify to amounts that in any other circumstances may not have happened. I was able to apply what I have learned these last few years in just this week. I don't speak Turkish and because the trip was so last minute learning even the basics would have been a challenge, so I went with not only little knowledge of what to expect but with no knowledge of the language, I did how ever go with an understanding of the Turkish culture because of a recent class I took and I have some understanding of Islam (which is the religion of Turkey). Having to use not just my words, but watch my tone, and use my body language to be understood was an amazing experience. Some might have gotten annoyed or would have just moved on to someone else who might have spoken English a little better but I pressed on, and ended up getting exactly what I needed in the end.

The Turkish people are some of the nicest people I have ever met, with of course the typical Middle Eastern temper. I didn't meet anyone whom I didn't like, and who was not as helpful as they possibly could be.
The food was amazing, the music was fantastic, and the elegance of the city was unbelievable. I will go back for sure.

To view pictures go to,
http://picasaweb.google.com/Sara.Avadarian/TurkeyIstanbul2009?feat=directlink

2 comments:

  1. Sara,sorry but i have to correct something. Turkey is a big country. A part of its land is located in Middle-East. Another part is located in Near-East. And the remaining part is located on Europe. Turkey exists with the existence of these different regions. They all completes the country and multi-cultural structure. In brief, Istanbul is not located on the middle-east part of Turkey but on Eastern-Europe part. And, furthermore, you cannot get any idea about middle-east in Istanbul. You should go to eastern Turkey to achieve that. Since i haven't been to this side yet, i have also no idea about middle-east.
    Cheers... Arda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arda thanks! I know that Turkey is separated into 3 main parts, and Istanbul into 2 I also know that even though Istanbul isn't the Middle East it used to be and it has many reflections of that era I fully intend to travel more through out Turkey and the Middle East! Istanbul gave me a taste of what I want to explore more of!!

    ReplyDelete